Wednesday, February 10, 2010

THIEVES IN THE NIGHT

 
I first heard of UK design team of Reno Inchenko and Julie Rouzioux, a.k.a. White Trumpet, um...God knows where.  It was about a year ago, at least, and I was pretty interested by their Spring-Summer 2009 collection.  A lot of the stuff was rudimentary, but the ideas were fascinating to me: the repetition of triangles; the hazy, washed out photography; and the somewhat cheeky references to science.  After paging through the photos, I wrote down the name and URL in my notebook and totally forgot about it.  Until now.

Checking out the collections that White Trumpet have presented since then, I'm further intrigued.  For Autumn-Winter 2009/2010, they took inspiration from "the world’s most powerful particle accelerator"--some of it comes off as a little lazy, or a little cookie-cutter hipster clothes, but again, there is a power of line in a lot of the stuff that's pretty appealing.

But again, I'm really more taken with the foundation, with the concepts, than the actual out-and-out clothing.  I suppose partially that has to do with the fact that these are women's garments, and they simply don't appeal to me on a gut level of "I want to floss that shit."  But still, I'm almost troubled by my inability to separate a cool idea from middling execution.
  
Maybe the underlying point, then, is that the conceptual conceit of White Trumpet is solid, or at least an interesting and new approach--the translation of the majesty and mystery of astro/quantum physics into a wearable garment certainly peaks my interest--but the results are less than satisfactory.  That is to say, the product lags behind the ideas.  Some of the pieces are good, I'll give them that, but I'd like to see the brains behind the operation (Inchenko, presumably) join forces with someone a little more fashion forward.

Inspired by a particle accelarator?  That shit better look fuckin' nuts--no jersey dresses please.  

No comments:

Post a Comment