Wednesday, January 27, 2010

RICHARD SERRA SKATE PARK



 
I came across Mister Mort via a recent profile of young Mordechai over at The Cut.  Though I find some of it to be a little heavy on the "old man" look*,  and I'm unsure how "ironic" it all is, I still find myself generally charmed by the whole thing.  Plus, some of those old men can really fucking rock some shit, like this duder freestyle-brownbagging a Bud Heavy.  Less disciplined and formal than The Sartorlialist**, way less irritating and affected than Tavi (not linking to that horrific shit, sorry), I'll definitely be checking the site on the regular from now on.

It's always exciting to stumble upon any appreciation of casual male style; as a moderately stylish male myself, I find it encouraging and fascinating.  Ol' Morty promises to be a new source of ideas and inspiration on how to wear basic men's pieces in a new and interesting way.  Affordable (i.e. non-runway) men's style is a pretty narrow street--anywhere you go, you're going to find slightly different renditions of the same basic trends.  So until I learn to craft my own clothes, or can ball out sufficiently to get suits tailor-made like Wes Anderson, I have to stick with my tried and true method.  This method consists of a) wearing it as well as I can; and b) occasionally refreshing my jams.

On that note, I recently copped this sweet Mackintosh trench at Uniqlo.  I'm pretty psyched to rock this come warmer weather, although I don't know what that will be.  DID YOU KNOW: Charles Macintosh (yep no 'k') invented waterproof fabrics in 1823?  And did you further know...actually there's not much else to tell, except this one other dude Hancock perfected the fabrics with the invention of Vulcanization in 1830 (Macintosh's version tended to melt in hot weather.  Far out, man).

History lesson over.  The moral?  British people are boringsville.         

 
*A wise woman once said to me, "Kanye and all these hipster assholes just dress exactly like old men.  So unoriginal and lame."  Not saying I don't love me some Kanye--the guy is a mish-mash of super talented/super bonkers/super stylish/generally insane--but she had an excellent point.  Now here's a picture of Kanye wearing a full length fur coat:



**Shameless self-promotion: go read my profile of The Sartorialist that I wrote for Anthem like a year ago.  I mean, you know, if you wanna.

No comments:

Post a Comment